From Left to Right: Ms. Nighat Haider, Mr. Faiz
Mohiuddin, Dr. Imtiaz Ahmad Dogar, Ms. Samreen Afzal, Ms. Asma Arshad
Bajwa, Ms. Hina Sadiq
Aims and Objectives
- Assessment and Psychotherapeutic Services are being provided to all in door and out door patients. Sessions are conducted to assess as well as treat patients.
- Each individual is assessed and therapeutic sessions are conducted.
- All indoor patients are instructed to come in follow up sessions after having recovery in problems.
- All Psychologists attend patients in outdoors.
- Assessment, diagnosis, therapies are being applied over here.
Training services has been provided to those internees who joined department for attachment and training. Trained Clinical Psycholoigsts and Psychiatrics provide special assistance and supervise them in clinical work.
Department is undertaking various research studies on the topic of different psychological and medical related areas. Previously many research projects have been successfully completed and others are still in the pipeline.
Psycho diagnosis is done through formal and informal Psychological assessment. Clinical Informal psychological assessment is done through detailed clinical Interview, Mental state Examination, Baseline chart and subjective Ratings of symptoms. Formal Psychological assessment is based upon specialized clinical tools and tests that are administered according to specific needs.
After thorough assessment and Psycho diagnosis specific Psychotherapeutic plans have been designed. Different techniques from specialized Psychotherapeutic modalities like Psychoanalytical Therapy, Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy and Gestalt Therapy, etc. have been applied according to specific problems.
Individual VS Group Therapy
Therapies are being administered individually and in Group form. In individual Therapy one person is assessed and treated by therapist directly.
A form of psychotherapy in which small, carefully selected group of individuals meets regularly with therapists.
The main objective is to assist each individual in emotional growth and personal problem solving.
Another objective is to increase members knowledge, understanding of a common problem and to improve social skills.
Structure of Groups
- Members, who have similar problems, are kept in one group.
- Each group contains minimum 5 to 6 and Maximum 12 group members.
- Target group has similar age ranges.
- Groups are leaded under the supervision of trained clinical Psychologists in which minimum one and maximum two group leaders run the group.
- Groups are Pre-planned and have Specific target areas according to the need of each individual.
- Psycho education is provided to each member of group.
A different Psychotherapeutic technique of Behavior Therapy, cognitive therapy gestalts therapy has been used. On the whole eclective approach is being used in each group therapy session.
Groups are divided into categories based on the disorder(s).
Psycho Diagnostic Lab
Psycho diagnostic lab is exclusively arranged to assess individuals suffering from various psychological problems. Moreover services are being provided for individuals who are in need of IQ, personality and neurological assessment. Here trained clinical psychologists assess individuals by applying standardized tests, tools and assessment batteries in order to evaluate them formally to diagnose and to make further therapeutic plans on the basis of psychological assessment. The lists of tests that are being used in the lab are given below.
Patients are assessed on multidimensional aspects. Assessment areas may include Intelligence, adaptive functioning, personality, Neuropsychological and syndrome specific tests.
- Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS)
- Weschler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC)
- Raven progressive metrices
- Slosson intelligence test
- Good enough harris drawing test
Tests for children
- Portage Guide to early education
- Portage guide to early education (Urdu version)
- Visual Motor Integration (VMI)
- Slossan Intelligence Test (SIT) (Urdu version)
- The Bangor Dyslexia Test
- Language Development card
- Children Adaptive Behavior Scale (CABS)
- Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS)
- Bender Gestalt Test (BGT)
- Corners Rating Scale
- Goodenough Harris Drawing Test
- Vineland social maturity scale
- Children apperception Test (CAT)
- Rotters Incomplete Sentence Blank (RISB)
- Thematic Apperception Test (TAT)
- Human Figure Drawing Test
- Rorschach Inkblot Test
- Children Apperception Test (C.A.T.)
- Edwards Personal Profile
- Gorden Personal Inventory
- Gorden Personal Profile
- Personality Factors 16 (16pf)
Syndrome specific testing
- Institute of Personality and Ability – Testing DEPRESSION
- Institute of Personality and Ability – Testing ANXIETY
- Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D)
- Beck Hopelessness Scale
- Assessment scales in old age Psychiatry
- Social avoidant distress scale
- Hospital anxiety depression scale (HADS)
- WHO Quality of Life Bref (QOL-BREF)
- Rosenberg self esteem
- Personal assessment inventory
- Benton Visual Retention Test (BVRT)
- Memory for design Test
- Wechsler Memory Scale
- Benton Visual retention test (BVRT)
- Luria Nebraska NeuroPsychological Assessment Battery (LNNB)
- Mini Mental state Examination
Persons having similar problems are kept in one group. Each group consists of 5 to 12 members. Groups are then leaded by Clinical Psychologist with specific expertise.
Groups are broadly divided into two categories
Intellectually Disabled Children Clinic
We are conducting a clinic of MR/Intellectually disabled Children once a week on Thursdays. There are two phases. First phase consists of assessment. We assess them formally and informally.
- Bio data Performa
- Presenting complaints
- Complications faced by parents
- Baseline charts for behavioral assessment.
Standardized test which we select according to the need but the purpose is to assess:
- The intellectual capacity, IQ
- Adaptive functions (motor language, self help, Socialization and cognitive area).
- Behavioral and Emotional Issues
- Speech related Problems
Tests we use in our routine are:
- Sollosan Intelligence scale
- Colored progressive matrices
- Portage guide to early education
- Children Adaptive Behavioral Scale
- Corners Rating Scale
After completion of the assessment and diagnosis, the second phase starts with focus on treatment.
We usually provide therapeutic help regarding:
- Self help
- Cognitive development
- Motor and socialization areas
- Behavioral & Emotional Problems
We do it by making Individual Education Plans (IEP’S) that are usually based on Portage guide to early education.
More over we specifically focus language area with provision of speech therapy.
Another focused area of our therapy is to educate the parents and the care givers of children with mental retardation.
We give IEP’s to them to administer at home to manage their emotional & behavioral problems.
Focus of Therapy
On three Areas
- Learning problems (Special Education)
- Adaptive behavior problems (Language, Socialization, Self Help, Motor and Cognitive Skills)
- Emotional & Behavioral Problems
About 100 Kids and their parents come to us regularly. We have record of all of the above mentioned work.